Friday, May 06, 2005

My Immune System

Oh, wait, that's right. I gave my immune system away when I got a new liver! Ha! That would explain all of the colds/paper cuts that take weeks to heal/weird viruses that I get!

Seriously, though. I have noticed a drastic change in my immunity since my transplant. That is to be expected. And, since I've already rejected once, they (my wonderful, wonderful doctor and nurses) keep my immune system as low as possible.

When I get a small cut, I end up with a scar now. Weird, I know. It really takes a week or longer for something as small as a paper cut to heal. And last night, I came down with a cold. I thought it was allergies at first, but now I'm pretty sure that it's not.

There is a guy in my lab that is recovering from viral meningitis. The goof-ball came back to work before he was completely healed. Now I'm freaking out that I'm coming down with meningitis. I really have no symptoms of it, except for a lot of headaches, but still. He should have known better!

There's another guy in my lab that has had a chronic cough for several weeks now. I could have whatever he's got.

And then, there's the baby. I babysat for one of my bosses yesterday for an hour while she was in a meeting. The most precious little 1 yr old girl. She wasn't sick, but I know that kids carry diseases around with them like clothes in a suitcase for a month-long trip, so I could have picked something up from her.

I really don't know the point of this post. I just felt like I needed to post something today, and I think I'm a little loopy from the allergy meds I've been taking trying to get rid of whatever it is I've got.

Hopefully I won't have to go back to the doctor. Last time I was there, he called me "a walking blood agar plate." (You know, those little petri dishes we use in the lab to grow all sorts of creepy bacteria on). Yup, that's me. A big bacteria lollipop. Well, I hope they're enjoying it. I'm sure not.

2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

This helps me realize how much I take good health for granted. I need to learn not to complain about minor ailments.

Tony

 
At 11:00 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Amanda,

I am just checking in with you. I know the feeling (regarding the lowered immune system). I get scars all the time from little cuts and what not. I have noticed that it sometimes takes months for a tiny cut to heal . . . literally, months.

It's frustrating, I know. It took me awhile to get over the hypochondria that comes with a lowered immune system. There is a couple from church--who shall remain nameless--who came to visit me when I was last in the hospital. At this point, my immune system was as low as it has ever been (they tested me for HIV because I was so low and I was allowed no visitors). This couple from church came by because they "really wanted to help, and they wouldn't take no for an answer." They were so eager to help us that they paid no attention to what we told them.

Long story short, they both came in my hospitall room carrying kleenexes, sniffling, coughing, and sneezing. I was irate--though I didn't show them my anger. How could they come in my room with a cold; I had no immune system. What were they thinking? To this day, I don't know what possessed them to come to my room, sick as they were. And, I was sure that I would catch whatever it was that they had, but I didn't.

I guess the moral of the story is that I don't feel that way anymore. It's a stage that you go through, and, though you never totally forget those feelings, the fear will lessen in time.

I hope this rambling helps. If it doesn't, just throw it away. I am sorry you don't feel well, and you remain in our prayers.

Peace,
Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home