Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Bummer

I'm bummed.

I just got a call from Dr. Raiford's nurse about my blood work results. The good news is that they are going to lower my Prograf dose to 7 mgs twice a day instead of 8 mgs twice a day.

The bad news is that they've decided that I'm still anemic and I have to go back on the iron. I would rather take a million pills of anything else than one pill of iron. Iron makes me so sick. When I was taking it at the beginning of my transplant, I ate nothing. I would eat a cracker and throw it up. It made me miserable.

I'm getting blood work done in two weeks. Talk about set-backs. Just when I was getting used to being poked at 6-week intervals, I'm back to 2.

I guess the only other good news in this is that the anemia explains my lack of energy. She said they've known for quite a while that I'm still anemic, but are just now deciding to do something about it. I don't get it. Seems to me like they would have tried to fix this little problem a long time ago...it would have saved me a lot of tiring days and fatigue.

They expect me to be on the iron for at least 2 months. So, if crankiness and my bad moods come through my posts in the next two months, you have my advanced apology. If it gets too bad, I'll probably just refrain from posting for a while.

Please keep me and my husband in your prayers. I know this isn't going to be easy on him, either.

4 Comments:

At 3:47 PM, Blogger CL said...

Amanda,
I'm praying for you and your husband. May God's healing and richest blessings be upon you both. Enjoy reading your blog, the cool thing about blogging is that you can be in any mood you want and it's OK. It's your blog. God bless!

 
At 5:29 AM, Blogger Jana said...

Okay, I'm absolutely no kind of medical professional...but I've been on iron before...and I'm wondering if it would be possible for you to ingest more iron by eating certain iron-laden foods... Is that a possibility? Might be easier on your stomach.

 
At 6:42 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Amanda,

We will continue to pray for you and Rick. I would almost rather be in any kind of discomfort than nausea. I hate it.

As everyone will probably be (or has) giving you useless and ignorant advice (no offense Jana, I agree with you), I don't want to be left out, so...

I have found drinking a glass of milk before ingesting medicine that makes me ill helped alot. But milk may not be allowed with the iron.

Hang in there. And blog when you are cranky, it could be entertaining for the rest of us.

Tony
Tony's Blog

 
At 8:03 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

So far I'm okay, but I just took my first pill less than an hour ago. We'll see how it goes from there...

cl,

Thanks. I'm glad you like my blog. :o)

Jana,

Eating food with iron in them will help, but apparantly it won't be enough. There really isn't that much iron in food. Beef, for example, only has 4-5 mgs in a 3 oz serving, and your body can only absorb up to 40% of that iron. Beef is considered a great source of iron. For a person maintaining good iron levels, food would be enough, but I have to build iron. I need 325 mgs/day. The food would be easier on my stomach, and I wish that were enough.

Tony,

I've tried the milk thing with meds before, it tends to just make me more nauseous.

...And I'm glad you're looking for entertainment in my despair. :oP

 

Post a Comment

<< Home