Tuesday, June 14, 2005

One Year Anniversary!

Ok, almost....but I did have my one year post-transplant check-up yesterday. It was a pretty exciting day. He ok'd me to move into the "4 month plan" which means that now I will see him every 4 months instead of every 3.

They did have to run some extra tests this time to check on kidney function and other things. Prograf (immunosuppressant-the only drug I'm on right now) will cause kidney failure, and I am on extremely high doses for someone that's a year out. I'm still taking 8 mgs twice a day. I've met people that are only a couple weeks post-transplant and are already down to 4 mgs twice a day. I don't think I'm having any problems in the kidney area, but better safe than sorry.

He wants to start lowering my intake of Prograf, which I'm all for, but he is afraid of rejection, which means that even though I won't have to see him but every 4 months, I will have to get blood work done probably at the frequency that I am now (every 6 weeks) or even once a month.

It's been an eventful year. I'm ready to move on with my life. I want to put this year behind me and charge forward......but I know that's unrealistic. This last year and a half has really re-shaped my life and changed me. I will be able to move on with my currently quasi-normal life, but I will never be able to go back to what I was before this experience. I have grown, I have matured, and I have aged. I just have to learn how to put everything into perspective (which I still struggle with) and do the best I can to live each day to the fullest.

I look back and see the struggles that have shaped my path, and I look forward into a fog that is my future, but I have peace knowing that God is in the midst of it all.

2 Comments:

At 6:39 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Amanda, the Arnold household prays for your continued progress, lowering of the rejection dosages, and strength and wisdom as you adjust to your changed life. Life--better than the alternative. God is using you.

Isaiah 55:6, 8-15.

Tony

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I covet your prayers. I can use all I can get. :o)

Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home