Thursday, June 30, 2005

Restrain Your Dog! (Part 2)

I'm hoping this is the last time that I have to write about this situation, but who knows.

Last Friday, I came home to a note on my door that said this:

"Dear Amanda, I called Animal Control about the pit bull again for the third time! They said that they had sent out a letter and that if that doesn't work they will take more drastic measures. I also called codes again about the trash (my note here: the trash thing is a whole different story). --N @ 8***"

Since then, I haven't seen nor heard anything out of the pit bull. I had seen the little white "Wal-Mart dog" and the lab mix running around, but I assumed that they had taken care of the pit bull and restrained it properly.

When Rick and I got home from our weekend at the lake, I noticed that in my neighbor's back yard, they had installed a new "fence." In reality, all they did was pin up some chicken wire, but I was at least happy that the dog would not be able to jump over it (knocking it down or wiggling/digging under it easily was another factor that I assume they didn't consider). Again, no site of the pit bull running loose for a few days.

Tuesday evening, I was out back with my dog when the owner of the pit bull came up to me:

"Have you seen my pit or my Chihuahua?"

(That's a chihauha?!?) "No, the only one I've seen running around here lately is the lab."

"I put them in the fence last night and chained them up, but I woke up this morning and they're gone."

"I'm sorry. If I see them, I'll be sure to let you know."

So, I was on the look-out for a loose pit and a chihuahua. I assumed that they had either gotten out of the fence, or that Animal Control had picked them up.

The next morning, I was getting in my car to leave for work, when I saw the two neighbors on either side of me, P and F, head back to P's fence. Next thing I see is the pit bull is laying on the ground. I thought to myself, "That's a little strange. Maybe she saw it running around last night and fenced it in."

When I got home last night, my neighbor N, who had left the note on my door a few days earlier, came up to me and asked me if I had heard about the pit.

"No. I saw P and F messing with it this morning, but I just assumed that it finally came home."

"Oh, no. It was hit by a car. F helped P load it into her car and they rushed it to the vet this morning. The vet told P that we should have never dealt with Animal Control in this situation, that we should have called the police right away. P came home and left a note on the owner's door that they needed to figure out a way to take financial responsibilty for the vet bill."

As if on cue, P pulled into her driveway and came over to talk to us about the entire situation. She informed us that the little white dog had been killed, and that the pit had a leg that was pretty badly broken. She was afraid to mess with a pit bull that had been injured so badly, but she said at that point, she could tell that the pit was in so much pain that it just wanted help. She said the entire time, it never growled or uttered a sound at her when she picked it up or took it to the vet. She said, "I never thought I'd like a pit bull! I still don't trust it, but it really is a sweet dog!"

I absolutely hate it that the white dog died and that the pit bull was hurt. I don't like to see anything suffer and, to my knowledge, the dog has yet to hurt anything or anyone. But I seriously hope that the dog owners learned something here. I hope that they learned that it's never a good thing to let your pets run loose when I-40 runs through you back yard. (Literally, it does....I can watch and hear trucks and cars go by at all hours of the day/night). And it's even worse to let your dog run loose when it's a pit. I would never hurt it, but someone else might just because of it's breed. I just think that it's really sad that this lesson had to be learned at the expense of two innocent animals.

3 Comments:

At 4:56 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

You are right about the root cause of this whole deal. Irresponsible pet owners. The dogs suffer, the neighbors suffer, everyone suffers. Dogs are animals, some breeds are better than others, but the don't create the problems, people do. A tiger is a absolutely magnificient creature, but does not make a good pet. Bring one home, it causes trouble, next thing you know the innocent tiger is being destroyed. Most wouldn't even consider such a pet, but we do it with dogs everyday. Even with "safe" breeds, the owners are responsible and the pet ends up suffering through injury. Would they hanlde their children this way? Um, don't answer that.

One of the purposes God created man for was to be a steward of this earth and this creature, but do we really take this seriously everyday, with each decision.

Tony

 
At 8:14 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

That is really a sad ending. Are they going to put the pitt to sleep? When I am standing outside with our "babies" at night I have often wondered what happened with your situation.

An interesting side note.....I also can hear i-40 from our front yard. It runs along the edge of our neighborhood. Only, I'm about 450 miles east of you. :-)

 
At 8:52 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Good points, Tony. I hear about these kinds of people every day, and we often read about the consequences (children who are hurt or killed by animals that we should never try to domesticate, animals that suffer because of it). I just never thought I'd live next to some of them.

Andrea,
I don't think they're going to put the pit to sleep. I think he's going to be okay, but I don't think that this family has enough money to properly take care of her wounds. I was talking with my neighbors about how the dog may have a crooked leg from here on out. I added in, "Unless a blood clot gets to her heart first...."

And that's funny that I-40 runs through your yard, too. :o) That means that I've driven right past your house on multiple occassions on our way to Wilmington.

Small world....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home