Wednesday, July 20, 2005

How It All Started (Part III)

I've taken a few days off from this because of the weekend and the unexpected car break-in on Sunday night/Monday morning. Hopefully I can remember where I was and get back on track with this again.
_______________________________________________________

Choosing a College

I wasn't like most high school seniors that I know/hear about. I was not freaked out about choosing a college. I was going to go to Transylvania University in Lexington, KY. Period. I wasn't worried about not getting in and I wasn't worried about the fact that it costs a bajillion dollars to go there. That's just where I was going to go.

I had not visited any other colleges. I had applied to a couple others, but just as fall-backs (although I knew that I wasn't going to need them). Yeah, you could say I was cocky. My grades were well above average, I had an excellent ACT score, and a lot of community service stuff. I was a shoe-in.

Dad came home from work one day and decided that, although he didn't disapprove of my wanting to go to Transy, he wanted me to visit at least one more school before I signed on the dotted line. He said that there's this school called Lipscomb that he heard about. He didn't know much about it, other than the fact it was a Christian school, but he thought I might want to check it out. Fine. Whatever. I got online, took 20 minutes to fill out the application to LU (that includes writing the essay), and figured out when I could go down for a couple of days to check it out. Only to appease my father.

So, we packed up the car and drove down for a weekend at Lipscomb. I was determined to hate it. I was going to go to Transy, this was merely a formality. We got there on Friday, and that night, went to a LU girls basketball game. It must have been a sheer coincidence that they were playing Transylvania. I cheered hard for Transy all night long. Best I remember, Lipscomb won.

I met up with the girls that I would be staying with that night and the prospective student that I would hang out with for the rest of the weekend. We had a blast. I fell in love with those girls almost immediately. I noticed how friendly everyone was...it was like a part of the world I had never seen before.

Then there was Devo. Wow. I had an incredible appreciation for acapella music, but I had never been in a group that large singing only acapella songs. I was blown away by the sound. I wanted to cry it was so beautiful.

I can't exactly remember why this weekend impacted me like it did. The dorms were way worse than the dorms at Transy, the school was about the same size, I think it was just the attitude of the students and the devo. I just knew this is where I was supposed to be.

We got home on Sunday to find that my acceptance letter to Lipscomb was in the mail. As much as I didn't want to admit it to my dad, I had decided that he was right and that I did need to go to Lipscomb. I didn't really know why, I just knew I needed to go. So, I sent back everything they needed and I was officially off to Lipscomb.

I got into all those other "fall-back" schools that I applied to, too. As far as Transy was concerned, I heard from them a month or so before school started saying that they never received a portion of my application, but they were still interested in me. Weird, huh?


God Thing #2: Random introduction to Lipscomb/Deciding to go there.

4 Comments:

At 5:08 PM, Blogger DigiGirl said...

There have been a handful of times in my life where out of nowhere I thought "I'm supposed to do that." One of them was in college when the restaurant I worked at asked me to cover a shift on short-notice... That's the shift where I met my current man of seven years. :)

The first time I visited my college campus was the day I moved into the dorm! I just knew I was supposed to go there. Some (actually ALL) thought I was crazy. In the end, I couldn't have asked for a better college experience.

There have been a handful more times like this, but i'll save that for a blog of my own. :)

 
At 6:16 AM, Blogger CL said...

I am definitely enjoying this little series! It is so amazing and obvious just from what you have wrote how God is in the midst of everything!

 
At 7:44 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Everone's story is unique and interesting. Thanks for sharing yours. I am learning so much about someone I consider a friend and sister in Christ, but don't really know, do I?

Tony

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks for the comments, guys.

DigiGirl, that's really cool about meeting your man. Rick and I had a weird meeting, too, but that's for another blog at another time. And, I also really can understand your feelings about your college, too. I (obviously) had the same ones for mine!

CL, I'm glad you're enjoying this. I was hoping it would be an encouragement to someone and help me at the same time. I'm at a point in my relationship with God right now where I need to be reminded of my life story every day....just so I never forget that He's there, even if I don't see or feel Him there.

Tony, Yeah, there's a lot of things that people don't know about me. This is kind of a long story, so I'm hesitant to share it in conversation. Normally, when someone asks me about my whole experience, I just answer with, "It's a God-Thing." I just don't really know how to condense everything that has happened to me since I was in high school down into a short little paragraph.


Keep reading, guys. I'm hoping this will continue to get more interesting to all of you and that it will become more and more clear how God has used these little experiences to physically help me out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home