Friday, August 05, 2005

Part VII

I told Rick a few minutes ago that I needed a break from my proposal. The quality of my writing for that blasted thing has gone drastically down-hill since I started it this morning around 11:00. I'm still not done, but a break is past due, so I thought I'd come write here for a few minutes instead. At least this is writing that I enjoy!

Sophomore Year

Nothing much had changed about school. I had my same roommate, my same friends, just different classes. Classes that I really enjoyed. Because I was majoring in both Bible and Biology, I made the decision that I was going to work really hard to graduate in 4 years, which ultimately meant that I would be taking a lot of hours each semester and during the summer from here on out. The first semester my sophomore year was no different. I was registered for 17 or 18 hours of very difficult classes: calculus I, cell biology, organic chemistry I, organic chemistry I lab, and about 6 hours of other classes. One of my professors from my freshman year asked me if I was nuts for taking such a load. Nah. I knew I could do it. I just had to work hard.

I started nannying for the family twice a week. I was making great money and I was getting to know the family pretty well. I found out that the dad was a gastroenterologist at Vanderbilt. Cool. If I ever needed anyone, I knew who to call.

So, classes started. And just a week or two into the semester I came down with Strept throat. It just so happens that our health insurance had changed, and I had to do some phone work to find a place that would accept it. The doctor that I had went to my freshman year wouldn't. Turns out, there was only one doctor in the middle TN area that would take it, and he just-so-happened to be less than one-half mile from my dorm. Sheer coincidence (yeah, right). I went in to see him and I liked him instantly. He was getting to know me a little when he asked me about my health history. I told him of my GI symptoms (without mentioning what all of the other doctors had said) and he quickly said, "Oh. Sounds like your gallbladder. We do ultrasounds in this office twice a week. Come in on Thursday and we'll check it out."


I went in for the ultrasound that Thursday afternoon before I was supposed to go pick up the kids from school. That's when she found it. My gallbladder was fine, but there were weird spots all over my liver. I was freaked out. The doctor told me that he needed to schedule a CT to be done sometime next week. I shouldn't put it off. He left and the nurse came in. She whispered, "I'd do it in the morning." I knew it was serious. I was very upset. I called the mom of the family right away and told her what was going on. She said that everything is okay. She'd call her husband to pick up the kids.

Not five minutes later, the dad called.

Him: Are you okay?
Me: (crying) I don't know. I'm scared and I can't get a hold of my mom or dad to tell them...
Him: What is going on?
I told him the whole story.
Him: There are a million different things it could be. Don't worry too much just yet. Have your CT in the morning and if you need a specialist, have your doctor call me. Don't worry about the kids. I'll get them today. Take as much time as you need.

I still couldn't get in touch with my mom, but my first organic chemistry test was supposed to be the next morning. I didn't want to just not show up, so I went to LU to hunt my professor down. He was in the middle of a study session for the test when I pulled him out into the hall.

Me: (still crying) I'm not going to be able to take the test in the morning. The doctors have just found spots on my liver and I have to have a CT done.
Dr. Boone: (grunts, humphs) Well (grunts, humphs, arms crossed on chest), just do what you gotta do. I hate that (grunt, humph). We'll work it out later (grunt, humph).
Me: Thanks. I've got to go find my parents.

I finally was able to get a hold of my mom. She and my sister left for Nashville immediately. They wouldn't have missed being there for me for anything.

God Things #4, 5, and 6: Nannying job for gastroenterologist, health insurance led me to good doctor, and good doctor finds liver spots.


At 7:42 PM, Blogger Natalie Brooke said...

Hey..I understand being busy. It's ok...take your time. I just had to comment and "meet you"! haha. anyways. look foward to getting to know you better. I couldn't have said it better myself about God bringing people together. that was the first thing that came to mind when i started reading your story. I think it takes courage to share it. Bless you sweet Amanda...look foward to hearing from you!

At 7:47 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Sometimes people don't get the miracle they want and blame God, totally ignoring the providence and love he sheds by delivering them circumstances that help them through their trial. You are a woman of God for recognizing His love and providence during your ordeal (such a trite word for what you have been through, sorry).


At 4:51 AM, Anonymous KP said...

Nannying job for gastroenterologist, health insurance led me to good doctor, and good doctor finds liver spots.

When I first graduated college, I went into flight school. I felt that is what God wanted me to do with my life. A year later I dropped out, because that was what God let me to do.

Why would God want me to go do flight school only to drop out a year later?

Well, when I first reported we all underwent an intense physical (the "NAMI whammy"). Flight surgeons are typically the best doctors in the Navy. When I was undergoing my physical with the flight surgeon, he noticed a mole on my neck. I knew about this mole, had it for years and never thought anything of it. Well, this doc didn't like the way it looked, so he sent me to a dermotologist. The dermotologist removed it and, sure enough, it was malignant melanoma, the worst form of skin cancer.

Had that flight surgeon not caught it, well, he pretty much saved my life. I never would have known about it otherwise. On the follow-up exam, they found a second spot on my foot (my foot of all places?) that was "pre-cancerous."

Two spots that I never would have had looked at, and never would have been looked at if God had not brought me to a "good doctor."

At 11:07 AM, Blogger CL said...

And to think, some folks don't believe that God is active in every part of our daily lives. Pfbt! Here's the proof. I am really enjoyig your story, well you know what I mean.

At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't you wonder how many God Things we would list if we all sat down and contemplated how He is working in our lives?

I imagine I am at God Things # 957,309,789,873,378,073.... and # 957,309,789,873,378,074.... (etc., etc., etc). He is so faithful! Thanks for your reminding us with your excellent writing skills.


Post a Comment

<< Home