Wednesday, September 14, 2005

I've Been Had!

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had entered some photographs in some amature photography contests. Much to my delight, this morning I received an e-mail stating that one of my photos had been chosen to be published! This one:


They said I was chosen for "assymetry and light composition throughout." I was so excited! I never dreamed that I would be published!

Then I read on:

"You have been chosen from 8,5xx entries to be published in this year's issue of ____________. Because of your merit, you are now able to order this beautiful book for $59 (reg. price $69). A winner will be chosen from those who purchase the book to receive $5,000."

Now I'm at a loss. This seems to be a ligitimate photography company. It very well could be like Who's Who Among American College Students (which I was accepted into one year) where you are accepted into the program based on merit, but you still have to purchase the book for about $100 with your name, picture, and biographical information. They said that this particular book is about 300 pages long and has this year's finalists plus many articles on how to improve your photography through composition, lighting, etc.

But then again it could be a scam with 8,000 thumb-nail sized pictures scattered over 300 pages.

In addition to the book, they offered me a very nice looking plaque stating that I have been published, with my name, the title of the photograph, and the photograph itself.........

But that's an extra $50.

8 Comments:

At 2:17 PM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

It may well be a good product, presented to you just as advertised. But it is still a revenue scheme for them to make money. It just may not be illegal or falsely advertised.

But what it definitely is not, is the opportunity to be paid to have your photo published; nor is it a no-strings-attached contest where you receive a cash award without spending anything.

If it cost you more to win than to lose, then you did not really win nor is it completely an above board proposition.

Who' Who is definitely in this category. It is a way to generate revenue from those that are chosen. It is not a real product or service genertating revenue by serving a need--other than psychological.

Example: I don't think Pulitzer Prize winners have to pay anybody anything. I could be wrong.

Tony

 
At 2:34 PM, Blogger DigiGirl said...

WOW! You won the opportunity to buy a $69 raffle ticket to a drawing that doesn't exist. Bummer! Better luck next time. :)

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger Debi said...

Congratulations on your photo being picked! That's awesome!! I do, however, think it's sort of a scam. Your photo, I'm sure, will be in the book, but I also believe it's a money making opportunity for this group.

I, too, was in Who's Who (in Music) in high school, and we purchased the book. I think it was a money making scam for the publishers of "Who's Who". Some folks really get a kick out of seeing their name, (or photo) in a published book .. but I think the only ones who will most likely own that book are the ones who purchased it because their own "work" was in it.

Sorry to burst your bubbble .. but that's my perspective.

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Matt said...

Amanda,
Sorry to hear about the scam. I had the same thing happen to a poem I submitted to what I thought was a reputable competition.

Lost in all this discussion is the quality of the picture they selected. I am an amateur--and let me stress the word amateur--photographer and a lover of photography in general. I must say that that picture was the best of the lot. I loved it!

So keep snapping shots; you seem to have a knack for it.

Peace,
Matt

 
At 8:18 PM, Blogger Tammy M. said...

I agree with Matt that was my favorite of the bunch.

 
At 8:14 PM, Blogger CL said...

That is frustrating! I have a bunch I would like to add to a bunch of your posts as I am trying to catch up with my blog stuff. Wish I had more time. Ah, such is life...Blessings!

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Amanda,

Sorry about the scam, like the photo, show me more!

Email me.

M

 
At 3:47 AM, Anonymous KP said...

It sounds like the photo version of the "International Poetry Society." I had poems selected to be published and was even invited to some big conference...turns out that was a scam. I would suggest googling the company or organization that sent you the notificaction. Good luck!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home