Friday, September 02, 2005

Prayer Request

You guys know that I work in a laboratory. What you may not know is The Family's Dad that I've been writing about recently is still my boss. (That's another part of the whole faith walk thing I'll have to write about later).

Researchers have to write grants to pay their salary. We have one in our department who was not doing that. Boss Man/Family's Dad gave this man a 6 month notice that if he didn't start writing grants, our department would not support him. He would have to leave when his contract was up unless he got some grant money in.

No-Money-Man disappeared. I have seen him around Nashville a time or two, but haven't seen him at Vanderbilt in quite a while. We (me and a few other people in my lab) have been cleaning out No-Money-Man's lab space because we've been moving. This continued into this week.

On Wednesday of this week, the day this man's contract expired, some people in my lab were continuing to clean out this man's lab space. He left a gi-normous mess. On of our office workers had to get into his office to get some paper work when she found him. He had hung himself in his office at work.

This man had no family in the US, they are all in Germany, so of course, they need our prayers. But so does the woman who found him. And so do the other two women that rushed in when they heard her scream and who also saw his body. And so does Boss Man. He is blaming himself for the death of this man because he fired him.

Boss Man is in England right now and will soon be making his way to Australia. It took a lot of coaxing to make him stay to finish out his trip. He feels terrible for what has happened.

Please Please Please pray for my co-workers and my boss. This has hit our department pretty hard.

7 Comments:

At 7:10 PM, Blogger Clarissa said...

How horrible, how horrible. Praying for them all, and for you.

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Praying Amanda. This is terrible. Call me if I can help in anyway.

Tony

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Thanks, guys.

There are a lot of feelings of, "If we hadn't cleaned out his lab so early..." or "if we had just tried to talk to him a little more...."

It's a lesson for me. I never saw the man smile in the year that he has been here at Vanderbilt. I know I smiled and nodded at him a couple of times, but he was just sour. Never any response. Not even a nod or smile back.

I know in my head that something had to be seriously wrong for him to do this.....and at work of all places, but one can't help but wonder if there was anything we (I) could have done differently to make him re-think what he was planning. It makes me re-think how "Jesus" I was(n't) to him.

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lot of men identify so closely with their work that nothing else matters. If their work disappears, then they disappear. This guy obviosuly was one of them.

 
At 4:43 AM, Blogger Big John said...

I can't tell if you and your coworkers are feelign bad because that sad man hung himself, or if they are feeling bad because he hung himself at work!?!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

Com'on, Big John. Of course we all feel terrible because he hung himself. Period. It wouldn't change the way any of us feel if it had happened anywhere else. I am confident that my boss would still feel as if it were his fault. But the situation is different because it happened at work. Not only are we affected because it happened, but we are affected because we are close to the ones who found him. Hearing that someone committed suicide and finding someone who committed suicide are vastly different.

I asked for prayers for everyone who was affected first-hand: his family members and my co-workers.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger DigiGirl said...

That is just awful. I can't imagine being the woman who discovered the gruesome scene. I'm sure there were many other factors contributing to this man's decision, hence the poor job performance that led to his termination. Anonymous is right; In a lot of cases careers are to men as body image is to women. Your boss was right to stay on his vacation; He needs this time to detach and regroup more than ever. Good gravy. Your blog always throws a curve-ball at us readers, you should start charging admission!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home