Monday, November 07, 2005

Reading

I used to be a serious bookworm. In first grade I was reading on an 8th grade level. I was reading better than most high schoolers when I was in 5th grade. I got in trouble by my history teacher for reading Danielle Steele novels when I was in 7th grade. (A friend had stolen the very adult-themed novels from her grandmother and shared them with me. My teacher was concerned and threatened to tell our parents what we were reading.....Like my parents would punish me for reading. Could you imagine that conversation?
Teacher: Mr. and Mrs. Beaver, I'm sorry to inform you that your daughter has been reading adult-level novels during class breaks.
My parents: During class breaks? So, she's not ignoring your lectures? And, she's reading on a level with the average adult at the age of 11? What's the problem, again???)

I miss reading. Since college, I haven't done much reading for fun. I read to learn now, which is way different. I went on a book buying binge last week. I decided that unless I had some fun, brainless reads to pack in between C.S. Lewis and Dietrich Bonhoeffer that I wasn't going to get much out of the more scholarly reads.

So, I bought a lot of books. I bought the first 5 Harry Potter books. I purchased two books by the same author, Mirror Mirror and Wicked (I can't remember the author's name), James Frey's A Million Little Pieces and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time by Mark Haddon. I read The Curious Incident... today (I read for 4 hours straight). I read Frey's book in less than two days. I'm like an addict. I started something that I can't stop. I'm upset that I didn't bring another book to work with me today, but it's probably a good thing that I didn't. I have a feeling that I'm going to have some sleepless nights until I have all of these books read......

I would recommend both of those books that I've read so far to everyone. Frey's book is not an easy read. It's a very brutal and ugly story of addiction, but it's a true story. Haddon's book is way different. It's told from the perspective of a 15 year old autistic boy.

Now I have to decide whether to start the Harry Potter books or the other two books.....I may just flip a coin....

2 Comments:

At 1:31 PM, Blogger Beaner said...

Just blog-hopping & found yours! I have read Wicked & enjoyed it, but it's a little bit "different". I plan on buying the sequal called "Son of a Witch" - it might answer a few more questions left unanswered from the first book.

I pray that God will bless you with health soon - sounds like you've been having a rough time lately! I enjoy your blog!

 
At 9:12 AM, Blogger Phil said...

Harry Potter is book crack. Once you start it's really hard to put them down.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home