Friday, January 06, 2006

Happy New Year!

I know, I'm a little late.

I've been telling myself for days now that I need to post. But I've been procrastinating.

Our New Years Eve was fun. We had made plans to hang out with our life group and play games (we love to play games, we just don't have too many friends that also really like to do this, so we were very, very excited). Until I got sick. I don't know exactly what got a hold of me. It could have been a migraine, but I don't think so. I felt too bad. Feverish, vomitting, the works. So, instead, I ended up sleeping the night away (although I did get up for a couple of hours, just long enough to watch the New Year in). But Rick wouldn't kiss me when the ball dropped. Isn't that depressing? I woke up Sunday feeling fine, which was great considering I was supposed to cook this huge New Year's Day meal for a couple of friends. It was my first "big" meal, and even though we had to miss church so that I could get everything done, it turned out okay.

My depression seems to be getting better, slowly, but getting better nonetheless. Rick is still waiting for an instantaneous "I'm better now!" and he still gets very frustrated with me at times. I have to constantly remind myself not to get so mad at him, but just keep him focused on the fact that he can see improvements and that it will still take time.

Other than the New Year's Eve mishap, our new year is really off to a great start. I'm not one that is big on resolutions. Rick and I, instead, set goals. We've done this ever since we were engaged, and we even still have our list of goals from when before we were married. At the end/beginning of every year, we sit down together, go over the previous year's goals, mark off what we have accomplished, and then set new goals for the next year. It's exciting that we completed almost every financial goal that we set for ourselves last year. There are some other personal goals that we set that we succeeded ni completing, and others that we didn't even come close to doing, but that's the whole point of goals. But even more exciting than last year's goals are this years goals. Not even one month in to the New Year, and we have completed nearly HALF of our financial goals for 2006. At this rate, we are going to blow through all of our financial goals in just a few months, and we will have to sit down and make new ones.

Also, another big goal of mine was to go on an international mission trip this year. I wasn't so sure that it was going to happen because money is still tight, and I still need to work so that I can get paid to pay all of our bills. And I haven't been on an international trip since a month or so before Rick and I got married. There has been a hole in my life for the last two and a half years that needs desperately to be filled. Even more than that, I have been dreaming about Rick being able to go with me on an international missions trip. He has never really been out of the country (other than our cruise to Mexico last summer), but even that doesn't count too much. The places we went were so Americanized that he didn't get to experience any of the culture. This is such a huge part of me and a huge part of what I want to be that I want desperately to share that with him. I know that he may hate every second of it, but deep down I pray that I can drag him along on one trip and he'll fall in love with it. So, my sister let me know that there was a church near my home town (where she goes) that is in desperate need of people to go with them on a trip to Honduras this June. The big catch is that they have raised almost all of the money. We only have to come up with $200 per person, and our church has already committed to paying that for us. Rick has decided that he will go (although he is scared and worried about me traveling so far out of the US with no American doctors). Now all we have to do is get up-to-date on our vaccines and take care of passports. That'll still cost us a little over $200, but we should be able to handle that. YAY!!!

Whew. That's a lot to happen in just a couple of weeks, but it seems to me that when God starts to move, you often see it all at once. I am absolutely exhausted and haven't gotten back into a normal sleep pattern yet, but hopefully that will happen over the next week or so. Counselling starts back again on Tuesday, and my classes start on Wednesday, so I'm sure I will have plenty to talk about next week.

Have a great weekend!

2 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger Matt said...

Happy new year to you as well. I have been reading your blog a lot, and posting very little; so, sorry about that.

I am interested to hear of your mystery illness as I had almost the exact same symptoms over the exact same period of time (i.e., I thought it was a migraine, but I was too sick for it to be a true migraine). Huh, I guess it's only something that we immunosuppressed can get.

Well, once again I feel that I could have written so many of the same words that I read in your blog. We have got to get together in this new year. (This is not a resolution, so much as a need.)

I am glad that things are off to such a good start for you this year. Hopefully, that trend will continue.

Peace,
Matt

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I'm so glad things are going well for you! I go back to school next week, too. Time to get busy!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home