Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Donate Life

That's always the slogan for April, but I didn't know that until last year.

It's Organ Donation Awareness Month, so get out there and sign your driver's license. But don't let it end there. Be sure to tell your closest relative or two your wishes. Your organs will not be donated without your next-of-kin's approval.

I just went to my first Organ Donation Awareness event here at Vanderbilt. It was very intimidating, but good, I think. I got there a little late, so I missed most of the talk by a dad who's son donated his organs. After most of the people cleared out, I did work up enough courage to walk over to the Tennessee Donor Services booth to ask them about how to volunteer. I met some really cool people, and I'm excited about getting started. I want to give back. I've tried to give back and couldn't (another story), so now it's time to really do something.

If you want more information about donating organs, just click on the UNOS link in my side bar. They can answer all of your questions, or lead you to someone who can.

Please think seriously about this.

5 Comments:

At 7:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good for you, Amanda! You have much to give.

 
At 8:21 AM, Blogger DigiGirl said...

I have the little heart icon on my drivers license, and i've told my family several times that I want any and all parts of me donated, not just my organs. Hair, skin, face, any and all useable appendages... etc.

 
At 7:09 PM, Blogger Andrea said...

I've always wanted to be an organ and tissue donor, but after working for Carolina Donor Service as a Donor Coodinator, the desire became more passionate.

My husband and kids all know 2 things.

When mom dies she....

wants to be an organ & tissue donor.

and

wants "I'll Fly Away" by Jars of Clay to be played at her funeral.

:-)

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Amanda,

Just so you know, I am an organ donor, always have been. This is about life and living...and giving!

If I could give to someone else, hope, that which was shared with you, who then shared with us, I am just completing the circle.

We love because He first loved us!

 
At 5:28 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Knock, Knock. Amanda...it is May. Time for another post from
you. :-P

 

Post a Comment

<< Home