Thursday, May 11, 2006

One Down, Two to Go

I have officially completed my first year of the master's program. *Huge sigh of relief*

I know that in the next couple of weeks, things will slow back down to at least a pace that I can keep up with, but, until then, Rick and I are having dinner and hanging out with friends we haven't seen much over the last few months. And we're trying to get things together for our trip to Honduras. (Oh, yeah....we leave in less than a month). And I'm playing softball. And I'm still working. And I'm catching up on all of those pesky doctor's appointments that come around only about once a year (eye doctor, dentist, vet (for my dog, not for me - ha!)).

God is doing great things in our life right now, and He's doing a pretty good job of keeping me calm through all of it. He's testing our church, but in a good way. I'm on the missions committee, and we have so many people we want to send out and help, but not enough money to do it. Since we just got a new building, I really feel like He's saying, "Okay, Otter Creek....where's your money? Landscaping and paint or evangelism?" That's a little more global than other things He's doing, but He's working in our lives, too. We found out on very short notice that we need $2100 to go to Honduras instead of what we originally thought was just $200 per person. So, we sent out letters about a week ago and already we have only $700 left to raise. God is good! He's really showing me and Rick that we're supposed to go on this trip. We have been flabergasted at the amazing response we have recieved from our Otter Creek family on such a short notice.

There has been a catch, though. Rick's passport is causing us serious issues. We applied for it long go, back in February, which should have been plenty of time for us to get it back. Well, we finally heard from them last week....asking for more verification that Rick is who he says he is. They wanted 3 different proofs of id that are over 5 years old. That sounds easy enough, but it's very difficult. They already have his birth certificate and we could NOT find his social security card. His driver's license is only 4 years old because he's only 25 and had to have it renewed when he turned 21. We did manage to find some old tax forms and we sent in an old transcript from college and an old college ID, but the problem is that on the ID, you can't really see his face. So, we ended up sending all kinds of things in, some of which are over 5 years old and some that aren't. We're praying that this will be enough and that we'll get the passport back in enough time for our trip. I really feel like God is in this, so I have faith that it will all work out, but I know all of your prayers will help.

I am going to keep you guys updated on all that is going on with our trip to Honduras and everything else that is going on over the summer. I'm back to blogging!

5 Comments:

At 5:18 AM, Blogger Andrea said...

Wow. Sounds like you have some really exciting things going on in your life right now.

I'll be praying about the situation with Rick's passport. Sometimes it seems like every other detail just has to be difficult.

It's good to hear from you. Just yesterday I was wondering if you'd fallen off the face of the earth. :-)

In this crazy world, there's an enormous distinction between good times and bad, between sorrow and joy. But in the eyes of God, they're never separated. Where there is pain, there is healing. Where there is mourning, there is dancing. Where there is poverty, there is the kingdom.

Henri J. M. Nouwen

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Michele said...

Amanda,

It's great to see you again! Know that God is with you through it all!

Peace!

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Debi said...

Welcome back! I've missed you!!! Of course you're in my prayers for your trip and passport issues. I know everything will work out just fine.

Looking forward to hearing all about it.

God Bless!

 
At 10:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I look forward to hearing what the Lord will do on your mission trip. He is so faithful!

Diane B.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Tony Arnold said...

Amanda, contact your congressman or senator. This is part of their job and their offices are usually very helpful with passport problems, especially for mission trips.

I have blog post coming up about something very similiar. Sen. Lamar Alexander's office really helped me.

Tony

 

Post a Comment

<< Home